FanFooty   FanFooty
Australian Rules
Fantasy Football
Blog Forum App

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Name: Pwd: Login for:

Advanced search
Home Help Login Register
+  FanFooty Forum
|-+  General sports discussion
| |-+  Other sports (Moderators: valkorum, Holz, LF, LaHug, Ringo, PowerBug)
| | |-+  Top 10 Greatest NBA Players of all-time
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Top 10 Greatest NBA Players of all-time  (Read 9274 times)
Jay
2019 AXV Premier
Veteran Coach

2018 SC Overall Rank: 55th

« on: January 27, 2014, 08:26:45 PM »

Hey lads, been doing a lot of research lately and have come up with my top 10 NBA players of all-time list and would love to get your thoughts.

1. Michael Jordan
2. Larry Bird
3. Magic Johnson
4. Kareem Abdul-Jabaar
5. Bill Russell
6. Shaquille O'Neal
7. Wilt Chamberlain
8. Tim Duncan
9. LeBron James
10. Kobe Bryant

Let me know if you'd like me to explain any of my picks. But man, Kobe vs. Oscar vs. Hakeem for 10th place was so hard to pick, not much between them at all. Larry and Magic is also a roll of the dice.

So what is your top 10?
Andrew3737
Assistant Coach

Respect My Authoritahh

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 08:35:40 PM »

the ol debate.

Lack of Shaq in top 5 disappoints me. lolkobe. Bird @ 2 is weird placing.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 08:39:23 PM by Andrew3737 » Logged
Jay
2019 AXV Premier
Veteran Coach

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 08:48:31 PM »

the ol debate.

Lack of Shaq in top 5 disappoints me. lolkobe. Bird @ 2 is weird placing.
Shaq at 6 is fair enough, its higher than where most others have him! Would have him above Russell but 11 rings is too hard to turn down ;)

Kobe 5 rings, 2 finals MVPs and a season MVP. Could score 35 at will in his prime! Deserves to be there but wouldnt want to see him any higher than 10, that is maximum imo.

How is Bird at 2 weird? The common theme is Magic #2 but a fair case can be made for Bird being a better basketball player than Magic...
Andrew3737
Assistant Coach

Respect My Authoritahh

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 08:58:55 PM »

I love Bird, but Magic, Kareem, LBJ, Shaq and maybe Hakeem are all I think deserve higher than Bird. Its close. Like there are a list of top 10, but then the order is all debatable.

1. MJ
2. Magic
3. Shaq
4. Kareem
5. LBJ
6. Bird
7. Russell
8. Duncan
9. Hakeem
10. Baylor/Wilt/Oscar
Jay
2019 AXV Premier
Veteran Coach

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 09:20:04 PM »

I like your list, but as dominant as Shaq was offensively I'm not sure he deserves top 3 player of all-time status... Didnt impact too many games defensively. Not to mention his FT shooting, send him to the line and he was buggered...

I dont really have a reason for Hakeem being outside my top 10, that dude had one of the best two-way games of all-time so I love that you have him in yours.

Bird at 6 is too low imo, 3 rings. 3 MVPs in the Magic Johnson/Kareem era! If it wasnt for his bad back maybe he becomes a lock top 2 :o could score, rebound, pass and play very gritty defense! I think 2-4 is his range on an all-time list :)

LBJ too high and Wilt > Baylor and Big O btw
Andrew3737
Assistant Coach

Respect My Authoritahh

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 06:41:57 AM »

I just cant put myself to putting Wilt in the top 10. He was dominant, but it was in an era where they didnt have shotclocks and 3 second violations. ALso when defending wasn't at all a big thing. It was always just score more than them. When Bill Russell went against Wilt, his numbers like halved.

As for Shaq, you don't need to defend when you can man handle and score at will vs anyone.

Maybe Bird below LBJ is a bit far fetched, but LBJ is really a freak of nature. I would put him 3 if I could, but need to see out his career first. I honestly think is within touching distance of Jordan.
FisherSaints
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 08:21:50 AM »

1. MJ
2. Magic
3. Bird
4. Shaq
5. Kareem
6. Wilt
7. Russell
8. LBJ
9. Kobe
10. Duncan
Jay
2019 AXV Premier
Veteran Coach

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 08:45:17 AM »

1. MJ
2. Magic
3. Bird
4. Shaq
5. Kareem
6. Wilt
7. Russell
8. LBJ
9. Kobe
10. Duncan
Not bad, but I think Russell is a bit low... 5 MVPs, 11 rings! Thats crazy :o

Also, give me Duncan over Kobe any day ;)
valkorum
Veteran Coach

FYFEY!!

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 09:35:05 AM »

1. MJ
2. Magic
3. Bird
4. Shaq
5. Kareem
6. Wilt
7. Russell
8. LBJ
9. Kobe
10. Duncan

I think you have the top 9 players right, just not in the right order.  Oscar Robertson has to be in the list as well ahead of Duncan.
_wato
Veteran Coach

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 10:04:48 AM »

1. Michael Jordan
2. Magic Johnson
3. Larry Bird
4. Kareem Abdul-Jabaar
5. Bill Russell
6. Shaquille O'Neal
7. Wilt Chamberlain
8. Lebron James
9. Kobe Bryant
10. Tim Duncan
Jay
2019 AXV Premier
Veteran Coach

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 12:54:45 PM »

Duncan certainly deserves to be top 10, best PF of all-time. Not as flashy as Kobe but I think TD eclipses Kobe in terms of actual production and improving his team-mates.

Oscar statistically dominated a weak era with Kareem by his side. Numbers dropped off majorly come playoff time and I dont believe he ever got a finals MVP :-\

I like wato's top 10. Very similar to mine ;)
Cookie Monster
Bench Steward

I. Am. The Phenom

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 01:53:51 PM »

1. Michael Jordan
2. Wilt Chamberlain
3. Magic Johnson
4. Kareem Abdul Jabaar
5. Bill Russel
6. Shaquille O'Neal
7. Larry Bird
8. Julius 'Dr J' Erving
9. Bob Cousy
10. Hakeem 'The Dream' Olajuwon

At the end of their careers, put in LBJ, Kobe, Tim Duncan, i just think that a lot of you go on averages and stats, the game has changed so much since way past the Jordan/Magic/Bird era, and i think the physicallity of the game back then would not suit LBJ, Kobe and such, thats why i think of these as the best, being the best players in the best and most physical era of basketball there will ever be.

That's my opinion, i know a lot of you will disagree, but if you watch the games in the 70's/80's and early 90's. That's why i think they're all there above the current crop of NBA legends.
Jay
2019 AXV Premier
Veteran Coach

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 02:21:55 PM »

Hm very interesting. I like your points on the different eras, but I do think that Tim Duncan would thrive in any era. Kobe and LBJ may be a bit thrown off by the extra physicality but Timmy's game is just so fundamentally sound, that I dont think he'd decline much ay all if any...

I'm a Celts fan and dont think Cousy belongs top 10. Magic, Oscar and Stockton would all be above him in my GOAT PG list. Maybe even guys like Kidd, Isiah and CP3 too :o

Wilt dominated against 6'8 white guys :P dont think he belongs top 5. Wasnt really a winner either imo, more of a stat-sheet stuffer.
Cookie Monster
Bench Steward

I. Am. The Phenom

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 02:25:27 PM »

I know what you mean by Tim Duncan, i think that because he's older he was more suited to that era. I really think Barkley could even make it.

But i would not put LBJ in there just yet, let him average 35+ points 4 seasons in a row and i might consider changing my mind.
Jay
2019 AXV Premier
Veteran Coach

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 02:27:45 PM »

I know what you mean by Tim Duncan, i think that because he's older he was more suited to that era. I really think Barkley could even make it.

But i would not put LBJ in there just yet, let him average 35+ points 4 seasons in a row and i might consider changing my mind.
Barkley too without a doubt. Was looking at his stats today, such a beast offensively and inch-for-inch has to be the best rebounder ever :o
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

FanFooty Contact Us About Us Advertising Site Map Copyright © 2004-2011 Paul Montgomery.
SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines